mandag 3. juli 2017

Europegig no.32 - June 23rd 2017 - Brumunddal, Norway


Now I've finally come to the point where I have been to more Europegigs than I have celebrated birthdays. How utterly privileged am I, to live in a country that Europe visits every year, at least once!

The name of the festival Europe played at this time is called "Tømmerstock". This name is a play on words on two accounts. Firstly, it plays on the famous festival you all know which is called "Woodstock". Secondly, the Norwegian word 'tømmerstokk' translates to a log. And it is a very satisfying description of  Hedmark county which Brumunddal is a part of. It doesn't have fjords or epic mountain scenery, but it does have woods. Lots and lots of woods. To get to Brumunddal from Oslo, you also spend a lot of the time on the highway driving next to the biggest lake in Norway, namely Mjøsa. So in late June the nature display is that of deep green coniferous woodland, and that of glittering blue lake and sky, complete with round hills.

 Nicked from Kalle who drives Europe's equipment. This is taken from E6, depicting Mjøsa.

I decided to go by my own car this time, to avoid the stress of public transportation from home to my workplace, and then from my workplace to Brumunddal. I'm quite fond of driving, and I know the road very well. It's the same road I took 13 years ago, to see Europe for the very first time. The roads are straighter and better, and I think I am a better driver than I was back then.

It started as a clear day, but the weather forecast had said rain all evening, so I had bought a rain poncho that would cover most of me and my Europe bag during the concert. I had been looking forward to this concert since the announcement in January, and especially to be wearing my latest Europe t-shirt bought in Stockholm in November. I put it on underneath my poncho and my hoodie, just in case the forecast would prove wrong.

Tiny Brumunddal, with less than 9000 residents, was buzzing with cars in the narrow streets. I managed to find a spot to park my car, not knowing if it was far away from the festival area. It turned out it was 200 metres away! I donned my poncho as soon as I got out of the car, the air was already full of rain; a steady drizzle, but not exactly a downpour. After finding the main stage, which was empty of people or crew, I decided to get into the bakery between the smaller stage and the main stage to get warm. Outside the entrance, I met Kalle (who is a member of the crew, driving Europe's equipment all around Europe) and his co-driver Dieter, as well as Magnus and Ove; twin brothers, friends of mine, and Europe fans. We all sat down for coffee and a treat in the cozy bakery. Ove had brought some copies of the self-titled album by 'Hollow Illusion' that he handed out. Hollow Illusion is a two-man band Magnus and Ove plays in. They have been playing at the famous "Whisky A go-go"-club in L.A several times, and toured Iceland, UK and Germany as well as Norway. Check them out, they're on Spotify ;)

When the time neared the start of the festival, us three fans headed for the completely clear area in front of the main stage, where Europe would start playing in 3 hours time. We had learned the news that a crew member had died the night before. For those among you not in the fan base, the impact of this might not seem very clear. Europe has got quite a worldwide base of die-hard fans. Europe is a band with a highly skilled crew, which in turn has their own Facebook page, named "Europe The Crew". The crew has been introduced man by man through Europe's own official page, as well as in their group. So with us faithful concert-goers, the faces and names of the crew members are well known. We watch them get the stage ready, we see them in the sound booth, and we see them running around the edges of the stage during a concert, fixing mics, switching guitars, and generally facilitating a smooth show every time. So when I was told that Mathias was dead, I immediately saw his face in my mind's eye; a very young guy, no more than 40 years old. A guy that you immediately noticed because of his hairdo and open face. I don't think a gig has gone by since 2012 without seeing him standing at the far far right of the stage, following the action intently, waiting for the next task, waiting for some new problem to solve.

I knew that the guys in the band had arrived in Norway, Kalle had told me that, so I didn't worry that the show would get cancelled, but I got a bit preoccupied all the same, when seeing the rest of the crew working, thinking about how they had lost one of their own, a colleague and no doubt a good friend. I was happy that my fellow front row fans was chatty, so I didn't end up in my own head too much.

My friends, Ingri and Lena, finally came as well. Ingri is one of my best friends, she came with me to my second Europe gig in 2004, when I had known her for 2 months, now I've known her almost 13 years! Lena is also a really close friend. We have also been to the same Europe gig, even if we didn't meet during. That was on Sweden Rock Festival in 2013. More fans started to pop up, like my good friends Thomas and Atle, and a couple of girls I meet on different gigs here in Norway. Michaela and Stefania finally came, and we exchanged hugs before the countdown began for real.

I know I'm spoiled, but I actually think 8 months is a long time to wait for a Europe gig. The first few months are okay, you are satisfied with the joys of the latest concerts. Then there's an announcement of a gig you're sure you will be attending (For me, a Europe concert in Norway is something I strive hard to make happen). And from that moment the urge gets a little bit stronger each passing week. I have had a bit of a hard winter, and having had something to look forward to has been a light in the darkness. I know the following song lyrics are probably about drugs, but I normally think about Coca Cola when singing along to it. However, it does apply to going to another concert as well:

"Don't you know it runs deep down in my bones
And I want it now, I need it now"

"I gotta get this of my chest how could you say I was obsessed
Cause I can't conceal a love that's real"

"All I need is another heat yeah
One last fix to keep the blues at bay"

 - "Chemical" by Crashdïet, from their album Generation Wild

The rain had stopped completely at the start of the concert, so I took off my poncho and my hoodie, I knew I would warm up soon enough for the t-shirt to suffice for warmth. My 32nd concert, after a 7 months 15 days break, started with "War of Kings". And it immediately came clear that this was not a time for mourning, for letting go. This was pure professionalism from everyone in the band and the crew. Sure, there was a few technical hiccups during the set, but that happens. I was so elated to finally be back in the middle of front row, in front of my favourite band. I have been to a heap of gigs the past half year, but there's nothing that compares to your absolute favourite band being in your vicinity again, playing to a ready crowd. Later that night, TNT would go on stage, and I don't know if that affected Europe in some way in terms of "We're gonna show the crowd that we're the best band even if we don't have the headliner slot", but they really gave it all, and then some. I have never heard Norum as focused as he was this night. His solos, and the solos from the Kee era sounded pitch perfect down to the last note!

The setlist was a good summer festival one, with some of the new songs, and a lot of the old ones. But I still had a blast at this concert! I can't remember enjoying hearing the ballad "Carrie" live this much EVER. It was just done with so much heart from the band. I am pretty sure that this is not the song they enjoy most... but this time it was done with brilliance through every layer of the band.

I was lucky to have Atle behind me, shielding me from what I later found out was an intense crowd, but poor guy, when I jumped up and down and headbanged and fist-pumped... At one point I nearly knocked his cellphone out of his hands! Probably during Cherokee, or Ready or Not... about that last one... when Joey comes out in the middle of the show with his guitar, I am never polite enough to let him introduce the song, I just bawl "Ready or nooooot!" at the top of my lungs. It's kinda embarrasing, really....

Speaking of embarrasing, I have apparently gotten a bit (understatement) spoiled with some recognition from stage... so at one point I was positively waving at Joey like you do when you see someone you know from far away, to show them that you're here! Joey wasn't far away, yet I stood there with windshield-viper arms and just looked at him really intensely. I got so embarrased at myself when he 'rewarded' this behaviour with the flashiest, heartiest, broadest smile while looking at me! Not in a mocking way, but I was still ashamed for having shown my "craving" so much.

From what I could see and hear of the audience (I always wear earplugs to tune out the noise and focus on the music), they responded very well to Europe.
Rocking beside Magnus and Ove was a real treat, both bands LOVED watching these two guys rocking out! It was so clear! One band member would nudge one of the others, then pointing at Ove or Magnus or both.  I love your passion, boys! Must give both Europe and TNT want to come back here again! Look forward to rocking beside you again!

 From the left: Alex, Joachim, me and Atle, Ove, and Magnus. Photo by S.H Photography, local photographer.

I had totally forgotten about the hovering clouds... so when I felt some drips hitting my skin, I just thought "argh, damn beers!". Then it turned out the wet drops came from the sky. But it was just an occasional drop, no need to put the poncho back on :)

The concert lasted around 80 minutes, so we got a full show, with the band shining all the way through! The Superstitious solo was just PERFECT.

When the show ended and the guys left the stage, I was so full of energy. Exhausted at the same time, but I still managed to jump and sing and shout all the way through TNT's set as well, even if Atle wasn't there to shield me.I went to see TNT on their "Tell No Tales" anniversary shows in Oslo and Drammen in January. Back then I didn't know that many TNT songs. This time I could sing along to almost every song.




 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar