fredag 4. november 2016

Europe gig no.20 - December 8th 2012 - Bergen, Norway

Date: December 8th
Venue: Grieghallen, Bergen

Have you ever been so fortunate to be able to sit down on a concert with your favorite band? Without the pushing from people behind you, without people chattering in your ear while your favorite song is being played, and without the fear of your neighbour accidentally pouring beer on you while staggering to a tune? 

Yesterday I was in a venue meant for symphony orchestras, with fantastic acoustics, and very few really die hard fans present. During the first three songs I was sitting in my seat on 2nd row, taking in the fabulousness of 'Riches to rags', 'Not supposed to sing the blues' and 'Firebox'. Enjoying perfect view to the stage, having perfect sound in my ear undisturbed by screaming or whistling (save from my own, I know, I'm a horrible person ) noticing the little things you don't notice when you're standing squeezed between screaming girls craving Joeys attention. Like the PERFECT lighting.... and every beautiful perfect note from each member of the band alike.

Then came 'Superstitious', and some girls in the front row stood up with their beer glasses and sang in front of the stage, trying to recreate the feeling of an 80s gig as I supposed they remembered it, or imagined it.

By the way, the top of the stage reached a bit over my knees. The band was sitting a way into it, not out on the edge, but it was just so... close. No fence between us.

Kneehigh stage!

The girls went back to their seats after Superstitious; one of the few songs they knew, had been played. Then came Scream of Anger. I was sitting and bouncing in my seat, singing along. Also, looking behind me there was another guy singing along. Interesting  I like that Europe's music has touched so many people, both inside and outside your group of die-hard fans.

The day before this gig I had been to another gig, in Stavanger, where the band, for the first time (for me) since releasing 'Last Look at Eden', DIDN'T play 'No Stone Unturned'. That was my first thought when 'The Final Countdown' intro announced the end of the Stavanger show. No 'No Stone Unturned'.

So in Bergen, when there came a keyboard interlude, after 'Scream of Anger' had ended, I was sitting on the edge of my seat (sitting in my seat for five songs, I know a certain someone is gonna be mightily impressed when she reads this), holding my mobile phone ready to record video... Some nice oriental feel to the solo.... then came the announcing drum taps from Ian, and I can hear myself screaming on the mobile recording for a little while during the intro to 'No Stone Unturned'.... Then the screen goes black, as I hurry as politely and quitely as I can past the people sitting in my row, hurrying to come closer to the stage, to

Sit down on my knees, leaning my arms on the stage and close my eyes, just feeling the melody, the rhythm, the bass through my body and head.

And no one was coming to take me away from there. I sat there during the whole song, just sitting, with stars in my eyes and a stupid grin on my face, and some urge to start crying or laughing, but ending up just.... moaning? I don't know. It was so epic on a completely FANTABULOUS epic-scale.

So.. how did the band react to this? Well, I was a little bit afraid of being looked upon weirdly. Or get told off by a guard, or one of the people in the front row (but why would they tell me, off, when I was sitting, and they still had perfect vision?)

Next came 'Girl from Lebanon'... and then 'Demon Head'. I can't remember if I was sitting down or standing up, or dancing.. Cause sometime during the gig I was more standing and dancing (not rocking, dancing!) than sitting and absorbing. Did plenty of absorbation anyway. The sound was just so high class. The fact that the venue didn't budge with die hard fans was just so brilliant. Once I realized no one was gonna tell me off for being there, I tested it out by moving from the right side of the stage over the left (bent, so I wouldn't annoy the ones on the first rows)... then I sat looking at the fantastic band from the left side of the stage. John L was looking at me, and I could tell he was amused, but I didn't feel he was mocking me. I like to think he showed some kind of gratitude toward an enthusiastic and respectful fan.

It wasn't until the acoustic set began that I pulled out my cellphone to film some videos. I didn't film entire songs, I think that's a violation of sorts.. I just did short clips, one verse and one chorus of a song...

I just had to capture the feeling. Sitting on the floor on your 20th concert, enjoying the perfect vision, perfect sound... yeah yeah yeah.. I know you've heard it a thousand times by now

While I remember.. I was AWESTRUCK by the cool intro to 'The Beast'. That song really is brilliant live. All of the 'Last look at Eden' songs and 'Bag of Bones' - song are no less than brilliant live. Europe is such a PRO live band.

During one song, I'm not sure which, I was standing directly in front of the stage (if someone had crashed into me from behind I would have buckled forwards and landed head-and-stomach-first onto the stage, luckily, no one did). I know I wasn't coming on as anomynous (d'uh!), so I wasn't so surprised when Joey finally walked towards me. I had tried to hint that I really wanted his plectrum on several occasions... Joey can look really casual. But it still turns out he has a plan. So, he was walking towards the edge of the stage on a whim (I thought), and I stuck out my arm, wanting him to touch my hand. He took my hand, held it, and left his plectrum. I had NO idea that plectrum was there. I was so happy I could cry. Now my collection of plectrums was complete!

....for a few hours. I must have lost it when I showed it to someone afterwards... but both my Levén plectrums where still in my pocket.

Funny story about those plectrums. John kept tossing them out after the Final Countdown. Starting from the left side of stage aiming right, and towards me, so I hoped to catch one. One fell on the stage before me and there was some hussle between me and another girl to get it, I had both by knees up on stage, almost on all fours just to get it (caught up in the moment). I know he must have seen it, I making such a spectacle of myself. So then he knew I had one, right?

But I told you I had two...

John L proceeded towards me, plectrum in hand, holding it tightly and putting it firmly and purposely between my boobs. I was such giggling and laughing, having got the attention.

The audience eventually did get on their feet. It started for real with 'Carrie', then 'Sign of the times', then 'Rock the night', and then... you know.. THAT song

My 20th gig was just one of the most marvellous ever. Wish you all had been there

other bits of my memory... 

Mic looking questioningly at the audience while asking "What do you want??" during Rock the night

Joey tossing one of his plectrums toward where JL stood... JL later picking it up, looking at it, then looking at Joey with a look of "what the fuq?"

Oh, by the way.... The local newspaper did an interview..

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar